I have it all. Savings, endless overseas holidays, buying my first property, healthy lifestyle, brand new car, my puppy Cooper and a decent paying job with the government.
I’m busy. I do things well. I get attention. But I am ready to snap.
I am so hungry for success and approval. What’s worse, I am continually dissatisfied with everything I do. I am my own punching bag. I’m obsessed with self improvement, but I’m still not perfect. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up— is there something wrong with me?
C’mon. Stop. Breath. Think.
Cue the spotlight: There’s nothing wrong with me.
Here’s how I know:
1. I’m playing the game of life the best way I know how, and trying to get better every day. I can’t possibly do someone else’s best, so there’s no point in stressing about it.
2. I make mistakes like everyone else, which allows me to learn as I go.
3. I’m unique, whether you’re introverted or outgoing, book smart or street smart, creative or technical—the list goes on and on. I’m the world’s only opportunity to know a person just like me.
4. There’s no such thing as the way you should be. If you do what you enjoy and don’t harm other people, you’re living a beautiful life.
5. I will never become someone — I am someone right now, whether I influence millions of people or mean the world to just one person. My impact is powerful, whether I realize it or not.
6. If someone hurts me, I don’t deserve it and they don’t deserve me.
7. I feel emotions and respond to them way I know how to.
8. I have a pulse right now, and it’s my choice what I do with it. There’s no right or wrong answer. (Unless what you want to bring harm to others).
9. I choose what I think is best, or else I wouldn’t choose it. As I get new information and grow stronger and smarter, I’ll make different choices.
10. I am beautiful, inside and out.
I’ve printed this out and put it in my nightstand and office desk where I can read it when I get hard on myself. I hope it gives you comfort when you start thinking there’s a good reason to not enjoy right now.