I’m super excited, in 5 days time I will have completed the Gold Coast 10km!
I started the week with a great diet, and exercise routine:
Monday – I began a new Strength training program from The 12 Week Triathlete, by Tom Holland. The program is showing amazing results in regard to my abs, arms and leg muscles. I even held a plank for 1 minute and 20 seconds, I feel like a strong warrior.
Tuesday – Speed Session, I can not decided if I like or loath doing a speed session, I can understand these sessions will assist me to be faster. Doing a light warm-up of 1 km at a pace of 7.5, then the outlined session of 3 x 1 km with 1 minute standing rest in between. I averaged 5 minutes and 5 seconds for each 1 km. Completed the session with a 2km cool down jog and stretching.
Wednesday – ABS and Core workout, I’ve told you all before how much I love Joel Harper’s 15 minute Abs workout, and if you haven’t given it ago click here now! It’s the best Core work out you can do for yourself! It has quickly become apart of my weekly routine.
Thursday – Strength training is required to be done at least two times a week to maintain results, and 3 times a week to increase muscle size and definition.
Base Training Session
- Dumbbell Chest Presses, Chest, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Dumbbell Bent-over Rows, Back, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Dumbbell overhead presses, Shoulders, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Dumbbell Biceps Curls, Biceps, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Dumbbell Kick Backs, Triceps, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Stationary Lunges with Dumbbells, Glutes, Hamstrings, Quadriceps, Sets: 2, Reps: 12 both legs
- Calf Rises with Dumbbells, Calves, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Dumbbell Toe Raises, Shins, Sets: 2, Reps: 12
- Regular Crunches, Abs, Sets: 1, Reps: 25
- Oblique Twists, Abs (obliques), Sets: 1, Reps: 25 each side
- Reverse Crunches, Abs (Lower), Sets: 1, Reps: 25
- Superman, Spinal erectors, Sets: 1, Reps: 10
- Plank, abdominal and lower back, Set 1, Reps 1 minute
And your done! The above takes about 30-40 minutes with a 30 second rest in between sets.
Friday – Its running time again! This session was meant to be a 30 minute straight run with a warm up and warm down. My nike+ app had a recent upgrade and failed to even track my progress, I stopped and started a few times during the main set trying to get a response out of the App, nothing worked, and it was an actual bug fix I downloaded today that should (hopefully) fix the problems.
Sunday – I had planned to go to New Farm and run 40 minutes along the water front, my hangover from going out Friday night was still hanging around, and I wasn’t feeling 100% confident to drive anywhere just yet (I spent all Saturday in bed, it was worth the hangover). I made it into Southbank though to pick up my race kit for Saturday’s event. The 10km run starts at 6.30am, I plan to be finished by 7.25am. I’ll have run 10km before your even out of bed!